When I signed on the dotted line a couple weeks ago I said that I wouldn't share any items from PARCC. I promised I wouldn't take pictures -- PARCC you do not get to use up any memory on my phone-- and I wouldn't read or look at test items. I promised to not take any notes or coach kids. I promised to just keep kids in line while they took the test. While I walked around as a PARCC security guard today watching my students put forth an AMAZING effort I did look at what I could and this is a list of what I saw:
- Students trying their best filled with pride that they did.
- Students intently reading and writing for multiple hours to show the world what they know and can do.
- Students who against all odds are showing up with a positive attitude that is infectious.
- Students who worked up until the last minute to edit and revise their work to make it the best that they can.
I also saw:
- Lots and lots and lots of dirty kleenexes from several stuffy noses.
- A kiddo crouched on his chair literally vibrating trying to keep his energy under wraps while his peers finished.
- A boy making scary evil rabbit faces at his screen. His front teeth pushed over his bottom lip and his brow furrowed.
- A student highlighting every other word in a different color.
- Lots of fidgeting and a concerted effort to talk down their energy.
I didn't know what to expect or how I would feel at the end of the day. I don't know what their scores will look like but I do know that most of my students left it all on the PARCC court. I'm proud of who they are, the prideful people they are growing into.